Saturday, November 8, 2014

Setting Goals in the Real World


I was cleaning today and I found a notepad that I had written down several goals early last year.   I was as ambitious as I was unsuccessful.  In this project I am attempting to resolve some of the mistakes I made so that I will be more successful with my goal setting.  I am trying to do a few things with this blog.
First, I want to document my efforts in focusing my energy on a relatively few projects while.  I want to have a contemporaneous record of what is working and what is not that I can review and improve on in the future.  Second, I want to use this blog to hold myself accountable on the progress I am making.  With the goal of posting twice a week, it will be evident by the number of posts I make each week.  With the Chinese goal, it will provide a chance at a weekly self-assessment of how I am proceeding towards the goal.  Third, I want to use it as a way to improve my writing.  I have not pulled out my copy of Elements of Style yet, but hopefully over the course of this writing I will.  Finally, I want to use it as a jumping off point to think about personal development.  I need to be carful that I don’t use this final reason as a means of procrastination, but I think it will be worth while to learn about ways people have stuck to their personal development projects. 
In that vane, prior to writing this post I looked at a blog post on goal setting.  I Looked at http://michaelhyatt.com/goal-setting.html as focus as I started to write this post.  It actually looks like I did do a half-way decent job of setting my goals, but I should not have necessarily shared them.  Oops.  Overall, I’m pretty happy with how the first week of the project has gone. 
My next post, I plan on doing some writing on my goals with the Chinese language.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment